Learn to make movie-quality Sci-Fi armor with STAR WARS artist Fon Davis. Whether you’re a creature creator, cosplayer or casual hobbyist, this 3-week interactive online course will teach you everything you need to know to create mind-blowing, wearable art, including:
- Building your own Vacuform Machine
- Design & Pattern Making
- Bucks, Vacuforming & Assembly Techniques
- Greebling & Kit-Bashing
- Painting, Weathering & Fine Detail
- Electronics and Lighting
In his two decade career, Fon Davis has worked on over 30 feature films. As a alumnus of the Industrial Light and Magic Model Shop, Fon has worked on features such as STAR WARS, PEARL HARBOR, STARSHIP TROOPERS, GALAXAY QUEST III, MISSION IMPOSSIBLE III and THE MATRIX series.
In addition to his work in visual effects, Fon has also worked in Disney’s art departments as a concept designer/model maker, and on several stop motion projects including THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS and CORALINE.
More recently, Fon was the Miniatures Supervisor on Neill Blomkamp’s, ELYSIUM. Having started Fonco Creative Services in 2000 and later merging with New Deal Studios, Fon also writes and develops his own projects, frequently using his CG skills alongside practical model making. With his vast experience, Fon is well-placed to discuss the art and craft of model making for cinema, from concept design to hybrid practical and cgi effects, with a particular expertise in knowing where models and miniatures can play a role in today’s digital world.
COURSE GRADING AND CERTIFICATE REQUIREMENTS
- To earn a Certificate of Completion, the student must complete all assignments within the duration of the course.
- To earn a Certificate of Mastery, the student must complete all assignments within the duration of the course, as well as demonstrate a clear, working knowledge of all techniques presented and an ability to apply them.
DAY ONE (MAR. 22ND, 2014 9:00AM – 5:00PM PST) :
PROJECT OVERVIEW & VACUUM FORMING
- VacuForm Theory and existing machine review
- Heater construction
- Material frame construction
- Vacuum table construction
- Spacers and final assembly
- Helmet design breakdown & creating shopping list
- Carving Vacuum form plugs
- Prepping and smoothing vacuum form plugs